POSITION : Early Head Start Administrative Assistant RFT
SALARY : DOE
OPENING DATE : October 11, 2017
CLOSING DATE : October 25, 2017
LOCATION : Omaha Tribe of Nebraska
Early Head Start Program
SUMMARY: The Administrative Assistant performs a variety of duties related to the administrative functions of the Head Start program. Responsibilities include management of systems for the Head Start program related to: human resources, payroll/timekeeping, professional development, accounts payable, in-kind reporting, and other administrative areas. The Administrative Assistant will perform tasks under the general supervision of the Head Start Director, but will also serve as administrative support for all Head Start coordinating staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Administrative Assistant will work from 7:30am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. In case of absence, Administrative Assistant will notify Director before 7:45 am. Work hours may be adjusted, per authorization of Director.
1. Responsible for answering telephone in a professional manner.
2. Responsible for communicating with Head Start staff using 2-way radio.
3. Greet public, parents and children in friendly and courteous manner; and direct visitors to appropriate departments.
4. Work with vendors, cooperating agencies and other departments in professional manner.
5. Ensure all program communication is distributed to parents and community in a timely manner.
6. Responsible for accurate communication with parents, bus drivers and bus monitors regarding transportation of children, updating bus route schedules and informing staff of any changes.
7. Responsible for implementation of Visitor Policy, and maintaining records regarding visitors.
8. Approach each child, parent and other staff member with respect, being sensitive to each
individual's rights, strengths, needs and cultural/socio economic background
Human Resources: Develop, maintain and monitor a system for human resources for Head Start staff,
1. Receiving employment applications, and forwarding to Director and Tribal Human
2. Background checks
3. Health information
4. Driver's License Verification
5. Professional credentials
6. Professional development documentation
7. Performance evaluations
8. Professional Growth Plans
9. Personnel Action documentation
10. Employee Warning documentation
Payroll/Timekeeping: Develop, maintain and monitor a system for timesheets, leave requests, comp time forms, and any other documentation related to leave requests (i.e. doctor's statements), including:
1. Time sheets distributed to staff members, copies made and filed, and delivered to
Payroll Department in a timely manner.
2. Leave request forms are filed and delivered to Payroll Department in timely manner.
3. Comp time forms are filed and delivered to Payroll Department in timely manner.
4. Other supporting documentation to be filed and copies attached to specific forms, and delivered to Payroll Department in timely manner.
Financial Accounts Payable: Develop, maintain and monitor a system for financial operations related to accounts payable, requisitions, vouchers and checks received, and shall include:
1. Purchase requisitions completed, and delivered to Finance Department in timely manner; with copies of requisitions and supporting documentation filed appropriately.
2. Develop vendor filing system, and file purchase requisitions and other supporting documentation in vendor files (copies of checks, requisitions, invoices, etc.)
3. Responsible for input and reporting of in-kind using Child Plus data management system.
1. Must be computer literate with proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and
presentation software applications.
2. Develop and implement a daily operating routine; including scheduled mail and tribal
3. Responsible for checking mail daily (Post Office and tribal administration building),
document in-coming and out-going mail, and route to appropriate departments.
4. Responsible for taking minutes for meetings, trainings, in-services, etc., and maintain
filing system for minutes.
5. Responsible for preparing and filing travel documentation.
6. Responsible for implementing equipment check-out policy and procedure.
7. Other duties as assigned.
1. Gain a working knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards, and how they apply to the operation of the Head Start program's various service areas.
2. Understand and implement safety rules and emergency plans and procedures as they relate
to the Head Start program.
3. Fulfill role as a mandated reporter as stated in the Omaha Tribe Head Start Child
Abuse/Neglect Reporting Policy and Procedure.
4. Observes children for any suspected or disclosed signs of child abuse or child neglect and immediately report observations in accordance with the Omaha Tribe Head Start Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting Policy and Procedures, and reports to the Health/Mental Health and Education/Disability Coordinators.
1. Uphold confidentiality of child, familyand staff information in accordance with the confidentiality policy.
2. Actively participate in meetings which may include Education Staff, center, committee and parent policy meetings; staff in-services and other training opportunities provided by OTHS.
3. Engage in continuing education and professional development opportunities to improve job
performance and knowledge.
Skills and Qualifications:
1. Ability to organize and maintain records/files
2. Ability to manage time, with flexibility to work in a highly demanding environment.
3. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
a. Limit discussion of children, families, and staff; discuss factual information.
b. Avoid gossip and inappropriate labels; avoids gossip of staffs personal/professional status.
c. Does not talk about children disparagingly in front of other children.
4. Ability to verbally communicate and have the necessary personal qualifications to deal with staff and individuals/groups with varying abilities.
5. Possess the ability to accept directions and learn under supervision; accept constructive criticism/direction and provide feedback to supervisor
6. Pass a physical exam, background check and Central Registry check, and drug test.
7. Must possess a valid driver's license.
8. Must become First Aid!CPR certified.
9. Ability to cooperate successfully as a member of a team.
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D. required; however, Associates Degree or high preferred.
2. 2-3 years experience in a similar position.
3. Valid Nebraska Driver's License Plans and implements classroom activities based on the individual needs of the children, including but not limited to:
**INDIAN PREFERENCE WILL E PRACTICED, HOWEVER, ALL QUALIFIED
APPLICANTS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE SEND RESUME/APPLICATION TO:
OMAHA TRIBE OF NEBRASKA
ATTN: PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
P.O. BOX 368
MACY, NE 68039
TELEPHONE (402) 837-5391
FACISIMILE (402) 837-4394